Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A New Adventure...

Last October I applied for a job I'd always thought would be cool... Dispatcher for the SJPD.  I figured I'd just see what happened and if the Lord closed the door I'd know it wasn't meant for me.  I didn't hear anything from then until February when I had almost completely forgotten about it.  I took an exam to begin the application process for the position.  There was more testing and interviewing along the way.  I honestly didn't think I would make it as far as I did, and when I realized a few weeks ago that I may actually get this job I began to get anxious over the whole thing.  Talking it out dissolved most of my fears, and I decided to continue with the process unless I felt like for sure I wasn't supposed to.  My family wasn't thrilled about the idea of me going back to work.  My dad was the most openly unsupportive.  I was annoyed, probably more so because I knew he had a point.  While my income would make our lives easier in some aspects it would come at a cost.  I would be sacrificing time with my husband and kids.

I was planning to send the kids to a nice Christian school I toured on Thursday, but Pete and I were concerned that Judah wasn't ready to be apart from me all day for at least 3 days a week.  And when I visited my homeschool mom friend on Friday I was inspired that homeschooling is something I could actually do with her help.  I was so inspired by different methods of teaching she showed me that I realized I wanted to teach Naomi a certain way, and if I sent her to school full time I wouldn't be in control of the way she was taught.

I thought everything over a lot.  I went back and forth in my head thinking of examples of working moms and homeschool moms I admired.  There were good examples of both.  But what was right for our family?  I had been praying that God would close the door if this was not the right thing for me.  But my friend I visited on Friday prayed that regardless of the opportunity, The Lord would put on my and Pete's hearts what He wanted for us. 

Monday morning during my quiet time I knew what I would do.  I came to a point where I was so motivated to homeschool, that even if I could afford to put the kids in private school right now I wouldn't.  I had a peace about it.  And I was excited to get started!  So excited in fact that I spent the whole morning cleaning and organizing the playroom to start getting it ready for school.  

After confirming that my husband and I were on the same page we made a decision that I would disqualify myself from the process and spare us all from the extensive police department background check that was to be conducted next.  

This morning I sent the email.  I was thrilled, and scared, excited, and nervous. I was almost in tears because the feelings were so overwhelming, but overall I was relieved, because I have no doubt that putting off going back to work to be with my kids is the best thing for them right now.

Here's to new adventures in being (not just a stay at home mom anymore) a homeschool mom!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you and proud to be your friend! I know this was hard for you because money can be very appealing and all the things you can do but yes your children are top priority. Great choice Rae, maybe we can home school together a couple days a week ;)

    ReplyDelete