Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Best Honey Mustard Ever....


My first job was at KFC when I was barely 16... I know, kinda embarrassing, right?  But, hey, I learned the value of hard work and worked my way up to a respectable job at Apple before my 22nd birthday.  Anyway, I used to LOVE the honey mustard dip from KFC.  I would eat it practically every day with my chicken strips... (How I didn't end up being 300 lbs I'll never know.)  But I was so disappointed when I visited KFC some years later for some chicken strips and honey mustard and found that the honey mustard recipe was no longer the same as when I worked there.

A few months ago I found this awesome recipe on Pinterest for honey mustard pretzel chicken... Definitely a Pinterest gem!  The honey mustard is so good and perfect for this recipe, but I wanted to make a honey mustard with a thicker, more dip-like consistency.

Tonight as I ate dinner I decided I needed to share my recipe because it was so simple and delicious.  I thought it up at about 4:30 PM while watching the kids play in the water table outside.  I executed it at about 5 PM, and by 5:30 the kids and I were chowin' down.  I even got an excited "good chicken, Mom!" from Naomi, and once I convinced her to try her broccoli she devoured that as well.

So here are my recipes:

Sautéed Chicken with Onion:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped
1 red onion, sliced
EVOO
Thyme, salt, pepper

I put the raw chicken and onion in the pan at the same time and sautéed them in the oil with the seasoning.

Roasted Broccoli:
1 bag chopped broccoli (picked it up on sale this week otherwise would have just used 1-2 heads of broccoli chopped)
EVOO, garlic salt, lemon pepper
freshly grated parm cheese
freshly squeezed lemon

Toss the broccoli in a couple TBS of EVOO along with a generous amount of seasoning
Roast at 400 for about 20 mins (mine were done in 17)
Sprinkle with lemon and cheese

Honey Mustard dip:
1/4 cu mayo (I used Best Foods "with Olive Oil" kind)
1/4 cu dijon mustard (I prefer it without seeds)
1/4 honey (I buy raw, local honey at Whole Foods)
1 TBS yellow mustard
1 TBS red wine vinegar
dash of salt
dash of paprika

Just whisk it all together.


This honey mustard recipe is the perfect dip for chicken.  The broccoli was melt-in-your-mouth perfection.  Just too good not to share!
I hope someone else enjoys this recipe as much as I have!

1 comment:

  1. You can try Xanthan Gum to make your honey-mustard thicker. Its listed in the ingredients for KFC's honey-mustard dipping sauce. If you're interested, its sold in the stores as a powder, Bob's Red Mill, for example.

    ReplyDelete