Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bows, Bows, Bows!

Saturday morning I pinned this tutorial on making bows that seemed so easy!  I used some fabric I had on hand to make these cute little bows right away!



When I posted this pic on Instagram and started showing them to my friends people started putting in requests for them!  I was having so much fun making them anyway I thought, "why not?"

(See the pink fabric in the background?  Before I started making bows I grabbed a piece of wood my husband had in the garage and made this nifty little ironing surface. 
 
I covered the surface with batting I had in my crafting supplies.  My daughter recently moved to a twin sized bed so I used her old toddler sized bed sheet and cut it to fit.  Then I just stapled it down to the board with the batting.)

Here's my version of the bow tutorial.
Supplies:
- Fabric
- Scissors
- Needle and thread (and Heat n Bond if desired)
- Iron and board
- Hair clip and/ or Velcro
- Fabric glue (optional)

I had this Heat n Bond product on hand so I decided to try it using this instead of sewing ('cause I'm lazy like that.)
 

First cut a piece of fabric for the bow, reserving a small strip for the center part.
Fold both sides in lengthwise, and press it with the iron.
Fold the other 2 sides in so they overlap in the middle, and press it again.
 
Now sew it together gathering it in the middle.  (I am so lazy about sewing. I just gathered it and stitched it through a couple times then wrapped the remaining thread around the middle and tied it off.
 
Next use the little piece of fabric to make the middle part.  I used the Heat n' Bond for this part to keep the seems together and make it a little more sturdy, but it's not necessary. 
 
Then I used a little piece of Heat n Bond to attach the middle section.
 
I purposely didn't secure the middle part to the bow so that I could attach a clip or strap.  Since I couldn't find bow tie clips anywhere I decided to make a little Velcro strap for the bow ties. Using basically the same "technique" I used to make the middle section I made a strap long enough to go around the neck and just laced it through the back.  (I haven't added the Velcro to then ends of the strap yet because I still need to buy it.)


 
Here are the bow ties I've done so far:
 
 
That bottom one I did using 2 layers.
 
Just make the fabric squares in 2 sizes
 
When you sew the center make sure to get all the layers!
 


 
 
For the girl bows I just attached an alligator clip on the back instead of a strap.  I bought these a while ago at CVS; they also had different options at the fabric store.  You can add a dab of fabric glue to help it stay in place.
 

 
 
So simple, right?  I was amazed that I was able to make something so cute!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment