Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weekly Workout Schedule

I'm finishing up the cleanse portion of my 24-day challenge and feeling great!
Back in October I decided to train for a Thanksgiving Day 5k.  I used to run cross country in high school until I got a stress fracture in my shin and just never got back into it.  Ten years ago I ran my last race, a 4 mile run, with my dad.  So when my dad said he'd do the Turkey Trot with me I was thrilled!  I joined a running group at the YMCA and trained with them for a few weeks before the run.  My goal was to run a 10 min mile, so I was so proud of myself when I finished with a 9:42 pace.  But then I got lazy again, and stopped running with my group.  Sadly, I stopped going to the gym all together around the holidays.  Today I had just enough motivation to get my butt out of bed and to my favorite circuit training class.  My running group is doing the Pat Tillman 408K (5 miles) on March 10, and I'm determined to do it.

Here is my workout schedule for the next 6 weeks... I know my friends will keep my accountable ;)

Sunday - Run 8 am with Y group
Monday - Rest Day or "Active Recovery" (light exercise like Yoga, walking etc.)
Tuesday - Circuit Training class
Wednesday - Cardio/ Run 45 min
Thursday - Circuit Training class
Friday - Cardio/ Run 45 min
Saturday - Rest Day or AR

Sunday Running Plan:
1/27 - 2 miles
2/3, 2/10 - 3 miles
2/17, 2/24 - 4 miles
3/3 - 5 miles
3/10 - Race Day!

I like to have a backup plan in case I can't make it to the gym.  I use the Power 90 videos at home.  Instead of circuit training I would do the "Sculpt/ Circuit" video or instead of the treadmill I would do the "Sweat/ Cardio" video.  I also have a few workouts on my Pinterest board I can do if I get bored with my routine.


Side note about the YMCA: My friend told me about the Y program about a year ago, and I was so excited about joining.  It's no Decathlon Club, but it's cheap! And it has all the necessary equipment and programs.  I'm a stay at home mom of 2 kids who aren't in school.  So when I heard that for $54/ month I could put my kids in the childcare up to 2 hours/ day I knew I had to try it out.  The childcare staff is great, and I don't ever feel bad about dropping my kids off.  In fact, they love it!  On top of that, there are so many things for the kids to do as well.  My daughter has tried out some ballet classes and preschool type classes included in the membership.  I've also done some gym classes with my little one, and I took the kids swimming several times last summer. Anyway, I just have to rave about it to all my mom friends who could use a little time to themselves or need a place to drop off the kids and workout without there being an extra childcare charge every time.  I couldn't be happier with my membership. 
I joined the running club just before they raised the price.  I paid $25 for a year, but I believe it's $50 now.  We meet Sunday mornings at 8 to run.

Here's to getting fit and accomplishing goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment