Thursday, January 17, 2013

What's Cooking: Chicken Breast, Black Beans, and Oranges

I buy a  large pack of boneless skinless chicken breast just about every week so we always have some in the fridge or freezer.  What I should do when I buy a large pack of chicken is portion it out and freeze it in bags so I don't have to freeze and thaw the whole pack together.  But since I didn't do that I had to thaw the whole pack and try to use it up within a couple days. Here's what I did with the 6 chicken breast I pulled out of the freezer 2 days ago.
I cooked one on our little Forman grill with the garlic salt and lemon pepper and packed it for my husband's lunch.
Gotta love this nifty little gadget.  It cooks a chicken breast in about 5 mins!

I boiled 3 of them until cooked through then put them in my KitchenAid mixer to shred (easiest way to shred chicken!) I used 2 cups of it for white chicken chili, put the rest in a freezer bag, and popped it in the freezer.
I already had the crock pot out from the black beans I made yesterday so I decided to use it for the remaining chicken.  I just placed the chicken in there with some bbq sauce we had in the fridge.  You can easily make your own sauce using tomato sauce or ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire, cider vinegar, and garlic powder.  I just happened to have half a bottle of Kinder's BBQ in the fridge so I decided to use that up.  After about 3 hours (on high) you'll have bbq chicken! You can take it out and shred it then mix it back in with the sauce. I just took a knife and fork to it in the crock pot and roughly shredded it.


I decided to buy dry black beans instead of canned this week.  I paid $1.29 for 1lb.  Since I'm on the Advocare 24-day Challenge I needed to cook these for the carb portion of my meals.  Yesterday morning I put them in the crockpot on high for 4 hours with 6 cups of water, and I had perfectly cooked black beans! I used the instructions I found here.  I portioned them out into these awesome containers my little sis got my for Christmas and stuck them in the fridge.  You can also freeze them if you're not going to use them right away. (I'm sold on buying dry instead of canned considering how easy it is!)



This is my orange tree... Brimming with oranges. 





Since my sister-in-law and I make jam, it was obvious we had to make marmalade. While I can't give you our recipe secrets I will refer you to my favorite resource for canning... Pick Your Own. (I also learned how to make pumpkin pie from scratch on this site!)  We used lemons from my grandma's tree too... So blessed to have homegrown fruits available!




1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love easy crockpot chicken! Salsa and bbq are my faves - so simple for a busy day.
    Lovin the blog btw!

    ReplyDelete