Monday, January 28, 2013

Overnight/ Refrigerator Oats

As a kid I can remember eating those packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal almost every morning.  I loved all the flavor combinations!  I feel so lucky that my kids love oatmeal as much as I did!  Although I don't buy those instant packets; I usually buy a bag of gluten free rolled oats from Trader Joe's.  Lately I've seen recipes for overnight oats everywhere and have been wanting to try it for a long time. 
Yesterday when I went for my morning run the kids and husband were still asleep.  I placed a pot of oatmeal on the stove with water and a pinch of sea salt so Pete could just turn it on when they got up.  I arrived home after my run to find the pot of oatmeal untouched.  I realized these soggy oats were halfway to becoming overnight oats! (It's not necessary to soak the oats ahead of time.  I just figured they had a head start.)


 
The kids ended up eating cereal for breakfast. =/  And I decided to turn these oats into refrigerator oats while simultaneously making my own breakfast.
Here are the ingredients I had on hand that I thought would work.

And here are my breakfast ingredients!
I think you can add the add-ins when you're ready to eat, but I just added everything in right away.
Here are the basic ingredients I used in both jars (I didn't measure anything!):

Oatmeal - 1/2 cup each
Almond milk (I just covered the oats)
Greek yogurt (I used Chobani plain low-fat) - A heaping spoonful
Chia seeds


Add-ins:
1)Spoonful of PB, 1/2 a banana, a little honey
2)Frozen Raspberries, a little Agave


Just stir it together, seal the jar, and pop it in the fridge.  It should be ready in a few hours, but I'm guessing the longer you leave it the more liquid gets absorbed into the oatmeal so overnight would be best.  My kids ended up eating it as an afternoon snack!



My eggs and turkey bacon were ready....
...just as I was putting these babies in the fridge!

 
These are such a simple way to have a healthy breakfast ready for you in the morning. Maybe next week I'll leave these for the kids when I go running Sunday morning. :) You could try so many different flavor/ add-in combinations... Get creative and work with whatever ingredients you have on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment